Grand Junction Road Rash Attorneys
“Road rash” refers to a type of injury called an abrasion in which skin is scraped off the body. While mild forms of road rash can be treated at home and will often heal in a matter of weeks, this injury can be quite painful and debilitating. The more extreme cases can lead to infections and other issues if not treated by a medical professional.
If you find yourself the victim of a road rash injury, you may be entitled to compensation. Call Peters & Nolan, LLC, today at (970) 243-4357 to receive a free consultation. Our team of Grand Junction road rash attorneys will take the time to work with you and explain every option for receiving the compensation you deserve.
The three degrees of road rash are:
- First degree: The least severe type of road rash injury, damaging only the outermost layer of skin. While it is a milder injury, it can still cause pain, swelling, and redness.
- Second degree: This road rash reaches the underlying layers of skin and exposes muscle, tendons, or nerves. Often shows redness or swelling, and radiates heat.
- Third degree: The skin has been completely scraped off in the affected area, causing bleeding, swelling, or deep wounds that expose muscle, tendons, nerves, or even bone. May be extremely painful, or not painful at all, depending on nerve damage.
If the road rash covers more than 10% of your body, you need help. Get the wound professionally cleaned and bandaged to avoid developing an infection.
Road rash may occur as a result of various types of accidents, but we most often see it after:
Any type of activity in which you can be thrown to the ground can lead to road rash. This is especially true in the summer and with warmer climates, as people tend to wear lighter and less protective clothing, leaving their skin exposed. Activities involving more intense speed and motion, such as motorcycle riding, have a greater chance of causing road rash – especially when another driver is negligent.
If you have a moderate to severe case of road rash, get medical treatment as soon as possible to avoid further complications, such as nerve damage, scarring, and possible infections. Definitely see a doctor if you experience any of the following:
- Irritated and painful skin
- Increased levels of pain after the day of the injury
- Discharge with a strong and foul smell
- Fluid or pus drainage
- Redness or severe swelling
- Flu and feverish symptoms
- Lack of healing after a prolonged period of time
- Excessive bleeding
- Any visible muscle or bone
Receiving professional treatment in a timely manner is very important. X-rays and other types of medical imaging may be necessary to properly diagnose the extent of the injury. In more severe road rash cases, skin-graft surgery may be needed if too much skin was removed or damaged during the accident. This type of reconstructive surgery can be costly, however, which is why it is important to seek out legal help in receiving compensation for your road rash injury.
Road rash injuries can cause debilitating pain and may even require reconstructive surgery. As the victim of an auto accident, you should not have to suffer the costs of excessive medical bills. Do not let a negligent driver get away with causing this financial burden. You deserve to be compensated for the pain and medical costs caused by a road rash injury.
However, negotiating with an auto insurance company in the wake of an accident can be a trying and difficult experience. Our team of Grand Junction personal injury attorneys at Peters & Nolan, LLC, will negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to get you the full compensation you deserve. Contact our office today at (970) 243-4357 for a free consultation.
Peters & Nolan, LLC is your ideal source for high quality legal representation throughout the state of Colorado. Known for being personable and responsive, attorneys Andrew J. Peters and Andrew Nolan are aggressive trial lawyers with an excellent record of trying and settling cases in criminal defense, DUI/DWAI and personal injury.