Home Car Accidents Government Vehicle Accident

Grand Junction Government Vehicle Accident Attorneys

How to File an Injury Claim Against a Government Agency

A vehicle accident is always a shocking experience, even a minor collision. When an injury occurs, an accident can be life-altering. If the accident was caused by the driver of a government vehicle, such as a police car, ambulance, fire truck, road repair vehicle, or any truck or car operated by a government entity, seeking compensation is a more complex process.

The first step in filing a claim is a full investigation into the accident to determine which driver was responsible. When it is determined that the accident was caused by the driver of a government vehicle, the process of filing a claim is as follows:

  • The accident must be investigated to determine who was at fault. The investigation is typically performed by law enforcement accident investigators, but a private accident investigator may be called upon if the accident investigation is incorrect.
  • A special notice must be filed with the right agency within 180 days. This notice must include the name and address of the injured person, the factual basis for the claim, the date the accident occurred, and the amount of compensation sought. If not filed correctly within the 180 days required by law, the injured person will be forever barred from filing a lawsuit for the injuries sustained.
  • Once the notice of claim has been filed, you must wait another 90 days before a lawsuit can be brought against the agency, unless the agency denies the claim before the 90 days have expired.
  • All the supporting evidence is gathered, and a lawsuit filed.
  • A settlement may be offered at any point in the proceedings.
  • The jury decides on the award for pain and suffering, capped at $250,000 for an individual or at $500,000 when it is deemed that clear and convincing evidence justifies a higher payment. Colorado law sets these limits and restricts the injured person from seeking any amount in punitive damages (intended to punish).

Back to Top

What Types of Compensation Should I Expect?

If you or a loved one was seriously injured or died after an accident with a government vehicle, the process of filing a claim and recovering fair compensation lies in the hands of your attorney. Ensure your rights and interests are protected by an experienced personal injury lawyer who is familiar with all the various differences in these cases. The types of compensation you could expect in a settlement or jury award include:

  • Economic damages: The financial losses associated with the costs of medical care, treatment, rehabilitation, lost wages and changes in ability that affect earning capacity.
  • Non-economic damages: These damages are capped at $250,000 per injured individual, unless the court deems that the negligent act of the responsible driver was so egregious that a higher amount is justified, which is capped at $500,000.

Back to Top

Your Personal Injury Lawyer: Injury Accidents with Government Vehicles

At Peters & Nolan, LLC, we are deeply dedicated to our clients, and we understand the urgency of the need for fair compensation – and justice. With over two decades of experience, and having won millions for our clients, we are the premier auto accident lawyers in the Grand Junction area, Western Colorado, the Western Slope, and Ground Valley. The first step in an accident with a government vehicle is to connect with us as early as possible after the collision. We will obtain and preserve the evidence, such as video footage, police reports, and interview eyewitnesses to craft a case that presents the facts to the government agency thoroughly.

Contact Peters & Nolan, LLC at (970) 243-4357 if you were injured in an accident with a government vehicle.

Back to Top

Contact us today for a Free Consultation

Call Peters & Nolan, LLC at 970-243-4357 or contact us online today to schedule your free consultation.

About Us

Peters & Nolan, LLC is your ideal source for high quality legal representation throughout the state of Colorado. Known for being personable and responsive, attorneys Andrew J. Peters and Andrew Nolan are aggressive trial lawyers with an excellent record of trying and settling cases in criminal defense, DUI/DWAI and personal injury.

After a Traumatic Event,
Every Moment Counts.

Contact Peters & Nolan, LLC, for tenacious
and compassionate representation