blog home Car Accidents Receiving an Accident Report After a Car Accident

Receiving an Accident Report After a Car Accident

By Peters & Nolan, LLC on June 30, 2021

A police report can hold a lot of weight in a car accident claim. It can provide key details about how your collision occurred and who is responsible for paying you compensation. If you were injured by a negligent driver, it is important to secure this document as soon as possible and review it with an experienced lawyer.

The Value of an Accident Report

After any car accident in Colorado, all parties are required to report the incident to the police. Failure to report a collision to the police can result in your case being classified as a hit-and-run and lead to criminal charges. If you were unable to report the accident to the police, you can report it online with the DMV.

In addition to it being a legal requirement, reporting an accident is key when it comes time to file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company. When the police are called to the scene of an accident, they will draft a report explaining who was involved, how the accident occurred, the extend of the damage and injuries, if anyone violated the law, and who was at fault. This document holds a lot of weight in a car accident claim, as it acts as verifiable proof that the collision occurred, and that the victim deserves compensation.

Without a report, you may face difficulties getting the insurance company to pay for your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages. The company may argue that you are making up your injuries and deny you coverage. The accident report, paired with other relevant evidence like witness statements, accident photos, and medical reports, can go a long way to getting you compensation.

How Do I Get a Copy of My Accident Report?

If you were involved in a crash in Grand Junction, your accident may have been investigated by the Grand Junction Police Department, Mesa County Sheriff’s Office, or Colorado State Patrol. If you are unsure which department investigated your collision, you can contact each one’s record department by phone to check the status of your report. You can also contact the DMV for a copy of your report.

In order to receive a copy of your report, you will need to fill out a form, pay the appropriate fee, and submit it in-person, online, by mail, or by email to the department that investigated your crash. The contact information for these departments:

Colorado DMV

Grand Junction Police Department

Mesa County Sheriff’s Office

Colorado State Patrol

Get a Free Case Evaluation

Getting an accident report is just one of the many steps in filing a car accident claim. You may also need to collect witness statements, review accident photos, speak to accident reconstruction experts, and negotiate with an insurance adjuster. That is a lot of heavy lifting to do on your own, and your best option is to trust you case to an experienced Grand Junction personal injury attorney at Peters & Nolan, LLC. Our founders have spent more than 20 years collecting millions of dollars for injured drivers throughout Grand Junction. We can investigate your accident, collect evidence to support your case, and fight to get you full compensation. For a free case evaluation, call us at (970) 243-4357.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Car Accidents

Contact us today for a Free Consultation

Call Peters & Nolan, LLC at 970-243-4357 or contact us online today to schedule your free consultation.

About Us

Peters & Nolan, LLC is your ideal source for high quality legal representation throughout the state of Colorado. Known for being personable and responsive, attorneys Andrew J. Peters and Andrew Nolan are aggressive trial lawyers with an excellent record of trying and settling cases in criminal defense, DUI/DWAI and personal injury.

After a Traumatic Event,
Every Moment Counts.

Contact Peters & Nolan, LLC, for tenacious
and compassionate representation