Colorado House Bill 15-1043
As of August 5, 2015 Colorado House Bill 15-1043 went into effect. House Bill 15-1043 states that a DUI in the state of Colorado can now result in a Class 4 Felony, if the DUI violation is a fourth conviction for DUI, DUI Per Se, DWAI, vehicular homicide, vehicular assault, or any combination thereof.
What does this mean to you? If you are convicted of a fourth DUI you will have a felony conviction on your record for life. Having a felony conviction on your record can prevent you from:
- Obtaining, receiving, transporting, or possessing a firearm or ammunition;
- Obtaining many public benefits, such as public housing;
- Ensling in the armed services;
- Obtaining or keeping a profession licensing issues for certain professionals, such as teachers, lawyers, doctors, and nurses.
- Finding employment as some companies will not hire an employee if they have a felony conviction: and,
- Could affect an ability to vote in some states.
The above effects of a felony conviction do not take into consideration the substantial fees, costs and incarceration that you could be ordered to serve as well.
If convicted of a class four felony for a fourth DUI, you could be sentenced to anywhere from two to twelve years of prision, you will also be required to be on parole for three years, and the Court could also order you to pay a fine up to $500,000.
If you or someone you know is charged with a felony DUI, give us a call today. A felony conviction for a DUI could have life altering consequences and your are going to need a drunk driving defense attorney who will fight for you.
Click here to read House Bill 15-1043
Peters & Nolan, LLC is your ideal source for high quality legal representation throughout the state of Colorado. Known for being personable and responsive, attorneys Andrew J. Peters and Andrew Nolan are aggressive trial lawyers with an excellent record of trying and settling cases in criminal defense, DUI/DWAI and personal injury.
- December 6, 2021
Dram Shop Laws and Social Host Liability in Colorado
- September 21, 2021
How Air Bags Cause Eye Injuries
- September 7, 2021
Immigration Consequences of a DUI