blog home Car Accidents What Happens If You Get into an Accident in Another State?

What Happens If You Get into an Accident in Another State?

By Peters & Nolan, LLC on June 4, 2019

Being involved in an auto accident is stressful under any circumstances, but even more so when you are out of state, in an unfamiliar area. After the wreck, you may be wondering about your car insurance – are you still covered outside your state of residence, and is your minimum liability coverage adequate?

Are You Covered While You Are Out of State?

If you have car insurance, you are most likely covered for an accident in that occurs in another state. Most auto insurance companies provide car insurance policies that cover you anywhere within the U.S.  and its territories. However, it is a wise to check the territory limits of your auto insurance policy as a precaution.

Does the State Where Your Accident Occurred Use a No-Fault Insurance System?

Certain states are no-fault car insurance states, meaning damages are covered by the driver’s own insurance company, regardless of who was at fault for the crash. If you travel from one no-fault state to another, the claims process will be similar. On the other hand, if you live in a fault state and have a wreck in a no-fault state, you must comply with the system of the state where your accident occurred.  No-fault states in the U.S. are:

  • Florida
  • Hawaii
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Massachusetts
  • Michigan
  • Minnesota
  • New Jersey
  • New York
  • North Dakota
  • Pennsylvania
  • Utah

Why Are Minimum Liability Insurance Requirements Important?

Mandatory liability insurance minimums vary state-to-state. So what happens if you are involved in a crash in a fault system state and liable for damages if you live in a state with lower minimum liability requirements than the state in which the collision occurred? The good news is that, in most cases, your liability coverage will rise to meet the requirements of the state where the accident occurred.

In What State Should You Hire a Lawyer?

If you are involved in a serious accident caused by another driver in a state that does not have a no-fault insurance system, you should immediately contact our attorneys for assistance. We guide our clients through the legal process of seeking compensation from the at-fault driver. The attorney you retain must be licensed to practice in the state where your accident occurred. Laws are different from state to state, and the laws in the state where the crash took place are what will apply.

Why Choose Peters & Nolan, LLC?

At Peters & Nolan, LLC, we have an extensive record of success in representing the injured in auto accident cases. Our Grand Junction personal injury lawyers have more than 20 years of experience, and to date, have recovered millions in settlements and verdicts for our clients. Contact us at (970) 243-4357 if you have been involved in an out-of-state car accident in Colorado.

Related Articles:

Posted in: Car Accidents

Contact us today for a Free Consultation

Call Peters & Nolan, LLC at 970-243-4357 or contact us online today to schedule your free consultation.

About Us

Peters & Nolan, LLC is your ideal source for high quality legal representation throughout the state of Colorado. Known for being personable and responsive, attorneys Andrew J. Peters and Andrew Nolan are aggressive trial lawyers with an excellent record of trying and settling cases in criminal defense, DUI/DWAI and personal injury.

After a Traumatic Event,
Every Moment Counts.

Contact Peters & Nolan, LLC, for tenacious
and compassionate representation